Reblogged from Caroline Bakker|http://carolinebakker.com/2012/06/16/tips-to-get-back-into-shape/
Fast track to fit at home (no gym needed) with these easy tips
I believe there is no excuse for not being fit and healthy. Personally, I have made a big change in my life as I have gone from no fitness to fit and healthy. This fast track to fit process is a change that will make you feel better, healthier, fitter and more happy.
Why fit and healthy?
Following Livestrong, Health and fitness is a general sense of physical and mental well-being that allows you to function at an optimal level throughout your life. It is an important factor in longevity of life as well as your enjoyment and quality of life. Different methods for achieving and maintaining health exist, and you have to choose the formula that works best for your lifestyle.
You don’t have to be a nutritionist, dietician or a Michelle Bridges to get back to fitness and good health. On a basic level, start with good nutrition habits and daily exercise. Being fit and healthy is not a destination, it is a lifestyle that will make you feel better, look better, prevent disease and makes you participate in life.
Fitness Quote ~ Fit is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Also, when you get fitter and healthier, you reduce the chance of you getting diseases as illustrated below.
Reasons to get back to fit and healthy – when you lost fat…
How to get fit fast?
I believe no one should spend a fortune on a gym as there are many many ways of getting fit at home. You won’t need expensive exercise, all you need is your own body weight! I have gone a the gym regularly for about 1 year and have stopped my membership as I realised that it is better for me to do things the way I wanted it to be. I started reading and learning from fitness blogs and websites and have learned that much that I can now write about it myself!
To get fit fast one should exercise daily and do a strength and or circuit session (this will help you build muscle, and more muscle means a higher metabolism) 3 or 4 times a week. It’s easy, you don’t have to buy a treadmill to do cardio exercise, instead wake up an hour earlier and walk before you go to work. Don’t walk as if you are shopping, walk as if someone creepy is following you (you should be getting hot and start sweating). Walking is one of the best ways of burning fat and is fun too! If you get up that early you will enjoy a beautiful sunrise and you will experience what magical powers early mornings have. If you have enough time, do some yoga or meditation after you walk. Besides doing cardio exercise, one should also include strength sessions. You will not need to go to a gym for that as body weight exercises are much more effective. See below for some great inspirational visuals which depict exercises you can do at home without any equipment.
Strength Exercise Guide for Women
Easy exercises for at home (no equipment needed) – Slim your waist with these moves
High Plank or Push up on one leg and one arm
No gym needed – your at home boot camp exercise routine
Abdominal work out session
Easy at home exercise routine (no equipment needed!)
How to get healthy fast and lose weight?
- Start with a detox and cut out all the unhealthy processed foods (see below). For more detox ideas visit my recent post on DIY Detox.
Cut out all the unhealthy processed foods to jumpstart your weight loss and your healthy lifestyle
- Eat protein at every meal. Protein is essential to life. Without it, we will die. Carbohydrates on the other hand are not essential to life. I make this point to underscore the importance of protein in your diet. Whether it comes from animal or plant sources, it is important to have protein with every meal or snack. Not only is protein an essential building block for our bodies, it discourages overeating and helps us to feel satiated for longer periods of time.
Protein Food Chart – Illustrating high and low protein foods
- Eat vegetables at every meal. Vegetables provide an incredible number of vitamins and minerals to help build a healthy body. Choose a variety of bright and colorful veggies to eat at your meals throughout the week. It’s virtually impossible to gain unhealthy weight by eating too many veggies, so load them on to your plate.One word of caution… Potatoes can be packed with goodness, but they also rank very high on the glycemic indexand contain a high number of calories. Because of this combination, you should eat potatoes in moderation.
Beautiful veggie platter for your inspiration
- Eat fruit in moderation. Fruits contain a number of vitamins and minerals that benefit our health, but similar to potatoes they are also high GI foods and can be high in calories. Try to eat fruits early in the day and in moderation.
- Don’t drink your calories. Drink water instead to flush out toxins!
- Eat within an hour of waking. Starting your day with a healthy breakfast that includes protein will help you stay satiated and on track throughout the rest of the day.
- Don’t eat within two hours of bedtime. Try to avoid going to bed with a belly full of food. Since you’re not active when you sleep, much of your food will be stored as fat. Going to bed with an empty stomach also gives your digestive system the break it was intended to have and as an added bonus, you’ll experience a more restful sleep. This is part of the principle behind intermittent fasting, which is another helpful weight loss strategy.
- Eat slowly. Don’t rush your meals. Eat slowly and you’ll be better able to listen to your body and know when it’s time to stop. An old Japanese saying—Hara hachi bunme—instructs people to stop eating when you are 80 percent full. This is an excellent reminder to listen to your body and avoid overeating.
- Savor your food. Don’t just eat, taste your food. Most foods are packed with flavor, but we often smother them in high calorie sauces, breading or cheese. Forego these unhealthy toppings and appreciate the great natural flavors of your food.
- Cook with fresh herbs and spices.Trying to savor your food, but finding some of it too bland? Fresh herbs and spices will add an extra punch of flavor?
Here’s an inspiring list of your ABC healthy foods!
- Avoid white foods. This is one of the best tips I have found for loosing weight. Most white foods (bread, rice, potatoes, sugar, dairy) are packed with calories and have very little nutritional value. Replace them with lots of colorful vegetables, fruits and proteins.
The food list for weight loss to give you some ideas
- Avoid deep fried foods. Deep fried foods come with high calorie counts, unhealthy fats and are usually layered in breading. They’re a sure way to sabotage your weight loss goals.
- Have a snack to avoid extreme hunger (see below).
Healthy snack ideas to kill your cravings and nourish your body
Inspirational Quotes to get you started TODAY!
Inspirational Quote – The Body achieves what the mind believes (so keep believing and keep going)
Fitness Quote – You can do anything you want! Just keep going and keep smiling
Inspirational Quote – Live up to your potential and reach for the stars
Inspirational Quote – Train like there is not finish line
Inspirational Quote – Stop making excuses, start living your life to the full!
Inspirational Quote – Life’s too short not to be healthy fit and happy! Eat move hydrated sleep and love!