You may have heard that salmon is one of the healthiest foods you can consume. The benefits of the Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins found in salmon seem endless:
- Relaxes the brain helping to prevent disorders such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease
- Increases your sugar absorption rate (read: metabolism) and can lower your blood sugar level
- Provides a significant amount of vitamins that contribute to vision benefits, lower cholesterol and even healthy hair and skin
What you may not know about are the health benefits of Greek yogurt. If you are conscious about eating processed foods, yogurt may seem like just another sugar-laden snack. However, Greek yogurt is healthier than non-fat yogurt. Check out the differences:
8-ounce Greek Non-Fat Yogurt stats:
–151 milligrams calcium
–20 grams protein
–83 milligrams sodium
8-ounce Non-Fat Plain Yogurt stats:
–450 milligrams calcium
–13 grams protein
–175 milligrams sodium
The sodium reduction alone is a key benefit of switching to Greek yogurt. Even better, you don’t forfeit the taste of regular yogurt. It’s equally, if not more satisfying. The increased protein will make you feel fuller for a longer period of time, helps you build stronger bones and lower blood pressure.
Combine the two for a healthy and delicious fifteen-minute meal:
Ingredients for Grilled Salmon with marinade (optional)
4 ounces Atlantic salmon
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Ingredients for Yogurt Sauce
1/4 cup Greek non-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons diced cucumber
1 teaspoon dill
Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle and Pepper to taste
1. Whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, mustard, garlic and lemon juice. Drizzle over salmon and marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Grill salmon on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Let salmon sit for ten minutes.
3. While salmon is resting, combine all ingredients for yogurt sauce.
4. Top salmon with yogurt sauce, additional marinade (if desired) and a squeeze of lemon.
(About 341 calories, 8 carbs, 17 fat, 31 protein, 1 fiber per serving.)